There are many easy ways to reduce energy usage to help save on home heating costs. Not only will you save money, your home will be more comfortable all winter long.
Here are some easy things you can do to save energy and lower your bill during the winter:
- Keep shades and curtains open during the day. Especially if you have south-facing windows, you can naturally heat your home during the day and close them at night to retain the heat.
- Close the fireplace damper. Chimneys can be big energy wasters. Stop your heat (and money) from going up the chimney when your fireplace is not in use.
- Set back your thermostat. Lower your thermostat by 1 degree while asleep or away from home to save about 1% on your heating bill. For convenience, install a smart thermostat to make saving even easier.
- Set your furnace fan to “auto”. Setting the fan switch on your thermostat to “on” will cause it to run all the time, whether or not your home needs heating or cooling.
- Use your ceiling fan clockwise. In the winter months, your fan should run in reverse (clockwise) at a low speed to gently draw the room air up towards the ceiling and force the warm air down. Try it. It really works!
- Insulating and air sealing. These are two of the most cost effective ways to improve energy efficiency, lower your utility bill and help you stay warm and comfortable.